No Resolutions, Just 11 for '11

Christmas Vacation:  Minnesota Snow

January 1st just seems way too early for a New Year's resolution.  I mean, it's January 7th and I still haven't taken down the Christmas tree!  Rather than make a list of resolutions which contain words like always and never, I prefer to make more of a to do list for the year.  From experience, I have learned that attainable goals are the key.   Here's my list for 2011:

  1. Take down the Christmas tree.  Hopefully I will be attaining this one soon!
  2. Eat half.  By this, I mean eat only half of a restaurant meal or half of a treat.  No need to deprive oneself completely!
  3. Discover the floor of my closet.  This might seem like a no-brainer, but not so fast!  If you have seen my closet, which I'm sure you have not, you would realize that this is actually a lofty goal!  My walk-in bedroom closet has mysteriously turned into an auxiliary closet for the entire house.  Anything without a home ends up here!  This will be a major undertaking.
  4. Complete a Bible Study.  I thought about writing, "Read my Bible every day", but that just seemed to be setting myself up for failure.  Like I said, I'm trying to avoid the words always and never!  I've already ordered the book, Radical by David Platt which is the next study offered at school.  Since I've already ordered the book - I'd say I'm off to a good start!
  5. Keep baking cupcakes.  I have to laugh at this one.  Normally my list would read, "Stop baking cupcakes!"  However, I've committed myself to baking through the Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book and I plan to keep plugging away!
  6. Take a photography class.  Maybe I should actually call this one, take a camera class.  I've been loving my new digital SLR camera, but I would like to advance past the point and shoot stage!
  7. Take a photoshop class.  Thanks to my dad, I am the proud owner of a photo editing program called Photoshop Elements.  The lovely logo sits and decorates my computer dashboard, but when I open it, I'm like a deer in the headlights!  I know that with a few simple instructions, better looking photos are just around the corner!
  8. Teach the teenage son to do laundry.  I felt a bit of panic this morning when he walked out the door and I realized that I only had five and a half more years to train him!  This panic attack occurred after I asked him if he was going to brush his hair and he replied, "Do I have to?"
  9. Clorox the yoga mat and use it!  It's one of my favorite forms of exercise, but driving to the YMCA for that hour and a half class seems like such a big commitment!  I used to psych myself up to run in the morning by telling myself that I just had to put my shoes on and walk out the door.  Baby steps!
  10. Be generous.  With my time, with my money, with my stuff.  Especially the stuff!  It only makes life more complicated, doesn't it?
  11. Smile. More.  It's a simple gesture that can make someone's day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Bean Soup

Dr. Seuss Snacks!

Candy Cornucopia