Monday, December 3, 2012

Floating Candle Advent Centerpiece


This week marks the first week of advent and if you are not sure what that means, here it is:


ad·vent/ˈadˌvent/

Noun:
  1. The arrival of a notable person, thing, or event.
  2. The first season of the church year, leading up to Christmas and including the four preceding Sundays.



A tradition I've always enjoyed in our family is the lighting of the advent candles.  Often times these candles are kept in the living room, but I prefer the kitchen table.  This is where we gather on a regular basis and take time to sit and reflect on our day.  While you will find many traditional ways to create an advent wreath, I prefer to make something different every year.  For me, the only common thread needs to be five candles:  One for each of the four Sundays preceding Christmas, and a fifth one for Christmas Day.


This year I used five cylindrical vases of varying heights, added water, cranberries and a floating candle.


I placed them on a tray and added fresh greens around the base.


As Christmas nears, the centerpieces becomes brighter as does our hope in the coming King.





No comments:

Post a Comment