Green Smoothie


How is your New Year's resolution going?  Did you start your diet yet?  Did you end your diet yet?  A bit of holiday excess always seems to leave me craving healthier fare.  This month's Whole Living Magazine features a 21-day detox and some clean eating recipes including a week of detoxifying, antioxidant rich smoothies.  I love smoothies.  But a green smoothie?  Let's face it.  Green smoothies...... look WEIRD! I triple dog dared myself to try this one, and here are the results!


It starts with a lot of green things.  Like an apple.  (A bit crunchy for a smoothie, but not so weird.)


Add one cup of fresh greens.  I went for spinach over the suggested kale.


And 1/2 cup Parsley.  In a smoothie?


For a little normalcy - a smoothie staple - the overripe banana.
Place all the ingredients plus 2 1/4 cups water in the blender.  
The longer you blend it, the fewer little chunky green bits you'll get.


Here is the result.  The apple and banana give it a bit of sweetness. I could definitely taste the fresh parsley, which gave it some brightness.  I really couldn't taste the spinach at all.  No, really.  I'm serious. I also could not get a single other person in the house to take even one teeny tiny sip - even when I triple dog dared them.

If you don't like little crunchy bits in your smoothie, use a mango or a peach instead of the apple.  If you would like it a little sweeter, use some apple juice in place of part of the water.  Basically, I think you could add a good handful of spinach to just about any smoothie without affecting the taste.  It will just turn your smoothie green. And green is good! (Just make sure you check your teeth in the mirror before leaving the house!)  

Here's to good health!  Cheers!


Green Smoothie
(Serves two)

1 cup spinach, chopped
1 Granny Smith apple (or peach, or mango), coarsely chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 ripe banana
2 1/4 cups water (or a combination of juice and water)

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  If the mixture is too thick, add a little more liquid.


Comments

Ok, I won't knock until I try it, but ever since my mom made me drink barley green, I've had a difficult relationship with green drinks.

Since I'm contemplating a detox, I just might try this out! Really, no spinach flavor?
Really, no spinach flavor! I'm on my fourth day now without Diet Coke. My head is finally clearing and I hardly yelled at my kids at all today!
All my girlfriends in Alaska drink green smoothies and swear by them. If I were still living there, they would have me in their green smoothie club, too. These are on my to do list though. My kids had one once with lime juice concentrate and guzzled it.
That's brave- no DC! Kudos to you. I'm trying to do a no sugar restriction, but so far, I've only gotten that in once.
Miz Helen said…
Your Green Smoothie looks awesome! Thank you so much for sharing with our 1st Anniversary Party at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen
Unknown said…
thank you for this recipe! As soon as I get a new blender i will be making this!! I'm your newest follower. Can't wait to check out the rest of your blog. i'd love it if you followed me back! http://bridgetbakes.blogspot.com/
I could use one of these--it's been a rough few weeks of eating out. Thanks so much for sharing on FridayFood over at Momtrends.
Libby said…
I've been searching for smoothies lately and I tried my first green smoothie last week (although it looked a little brown due to the fruit variety). You're right though, the spinach bears no taste. I think I'll give this one a try too. I have everything except the green apple. :-)

(Stopping by from Everything Under the Moon)

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Bean Soup

Dr. Seuss Snacks!

Candy Cornucopia