Gingerbread Inspiration


Since my family and I are usually Thanksgiving orphans (i.e. the extended family would rather stay put, eat wild rice stuffing and shovel snow than travel to a milder climate and taste my newly developed southern cooking), we decided to venture out on a road trip this year.  Less than four hours away from us, nestled in the Smoky Mountains, is the gracious southern town of Asheville, North Carolina. Asheville is home to the country's largest single family dwelling, The Biltmore Estate, and the renowned spa and resort, The Grove Park Inn.


Besides the fact that The Grove Park Inn actually looks like a massive gingerbread house itself, with its rounded red roof and cobblestone exterior, this century old Inn is home to the National Gingerbread Competition. Each year, The Inn receives hundreds of entries from across the country and displays them throughout their property.


If you don't think it's a big deal, take a look at this panel of judges.  
Curator at The Metropolitan Museum of Art?  Executive Editor for Southern Living Magazine? Impressive.


You'll be inspired by the creativity....




I loved this Gingerbread Van!


And the detail.  Is this Charlie Brown scene not the cutest thing?
Oh, yeah, did I mention these were from the kids' division?



Have a few spare hours?  How about this brick and cobblestone model?


Or some 100% edible toys?


Stone walls.....


Wallpaper, checked tiles, miniature food, carousel horses.....


And finally, the Grand Prize Winner:  The Little Old Lady Who Lived In a Shoe.
It's displayed in a glass-enclosed case with mirrors and a rotating pedestal.




On December 23rd, it's scheduled to be featured on Good Morning America.
But you can say you saw it here first.

I have a feeling the kids are going to want to make gingerbread houses this year.
Thank goodness for the beautiful pre-fab houses at Costco!  I'll be heading there shortly.



THIS POST MAY BE LINKED TO: MONDAYSMOUTHWATERING MONDAYSMADE BY YOU MONDAY,MINGLE MONDAY , HOME SAVVY A TO Z, BEDAZZLE ME MONDAY TUESDAYSTALENT SHOW TUESDAYSMUSHKI LOVES MY STUFF TUESDAYS AND THE TABLE, TEMPT MY TUMMY TUESDAY,TWO MAIDS A BAKING, TIP JUNKIE ,GET YOUR CRAFT ON, CRAZY SWEET TUESDAYS!  TEA PARTY TUESDAY  MANDY'S RECIPE BOX WEDNESDAYSSHOW AND TELLWORKS FOR ME WEDNESDAYTHIS CHICK COOKSLADY BEHIND THE CURTAINGINGER SNAP CRAFTS,  THURSDAYS IT’S A KEEPER THURSDAYSSTRUT YOUR STUFFFULL PLATE THURSDAYS , CHIC & CRAFTY PARTY, THRIFTY THURSDAYS  FRIDAYS: I’M LOVING IT, FOODIE FRIDAYGROCERY CART CHALLENGEFOOD ON FRIDAYSFRIDAY POT LUCK, TATERTOTS AND JELLO,  SWEET TOOTH FRIDAY SHINE ON FRIDAYS, FRIDAY FAVORITES,  FUSION FRIDAYS FRIDAY FOOD , BACON TIME SATURDAYS:SWEETS FOR A SATURDAY SIX SISTERS STUFFCRUMBS AND CHAOS SUNDAYS: NIFTY THRIFTY SUNDAYAWELL SEASONED LIFE

Comments

Sassy Girl said…
I found your blog a few days ago...and to my surprise you have featured TWO awesome places from my hometown this week! It is such a small world! Biltmore and GPI are a couple of our favorite places and we always make time to visit while we're home...can barely wait until our Christmas visit. I now live in Chicago, but Asheville will always have my heart. Love seeing my fave places...great blog! CLS
On my iPhone, it looked like Fudging and I thought, oh, they've got some interesting sub competition here! LOL.

Seeing all those gingerbread houses must have been inspiring. I'm sure your prefab houses will be fab with all the extras you have in your house (anymore leftover Halloween candy to be put to use?)
Sassy Girl: We LOVED Asheville and will definitely be making a return trip! The countryside is simply beautiful and the shops are fantastic!
Unknown said…
Oh I would have loved to see that in person, thanks for sharing.
Unknown said…
Wow that is awesome!! Thanks for linking up to 2 Maids a Baking!!
How fun! These are AMAZING! Thanks for linking up!
Kirsten
Anonymous said…
Those constructions are amazing! Thanks for sharing. I love that kind of thing!! I just wish I lived closer so I could see them in person. :)
Sue said…
Amazing! I love the winning shoe:) I wish I could have gone to such a grand competition!
cupcakegirl said…
all of those are just amazing such talent from the competitors. It puts my paultry efforts a house making to shame
Unknown said…
I work for our local YMCA. We are having a holiday fundraising event. I love the photo of the green Victorian gingerbread house, and I'd like to use it as part of a flyer. May I have your permission to use the photo?

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Bean Soup

Dr. Seuss Snacks!

Candy Cornucopia