Banana Split Cupcakes


Sometimes I bake something in hopes that it will be heavenly delicious.  Sometimes I bake something to feed a crowd.  But sometimes I bake something just to watch my kids eyes get big and to hear them say WOW!


These cupcakes fell into the WOW! category and they turned out to be the perfect treat for Ella's family birthday dinner.  The inspiration for these came from one of my favorite cupcake books, What's New Cupcake? by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson.
  • I super-sized mine by starting with three jumbo muffins.   
  • For the "Ice Cream", divide a batch of white frosting into three bowls.  I used homemade cream cheese frosting (because it's my favorite), but the book suggests frosting right out of the can.


  • Leave one third of the frosting plain
  • Add 2 Tablespoons low sugar strawberry jam to the second bowl
  • Add 1 Tablespoon a cocoa powder to the third bowl.  
  • Put bowls in the freezer for 30 - 60 minutes.  
  • Next, scoop the frosting with an ice cream scooper and place the mounds right on top of the cupcakes.  Yes, it's a lot of frosting, but that's what makes the kids say, WOW!



  • The "bananas" are Stella D'oro Anisette Toast dipped in yellow candy melts. 
  • Drizzle chocolate ganache on the "Vanilla" cupcake. 
  • Just before serving, top each with whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry.

What birthday girl wouldn't want to dig into this?  
Fortunately for the rest of us, she shared!





Comments

laurie said…
Holy Cow!I want some!I pinned this on my board on Pinterest!
WOw, my kids are drooling over this! They are all asking me to make it! Thanks!
Mandi said…
This would make the perfect special occasion treat for my little guys! Thanks for the inspiration! Looks so yummy! :) Visiting from Friday Potluck! I would love it if you stopped by my blog to say hi!

Mandi at boredombustingmommy.blogspot.com
annies home said…
these look so delicious what a wonderful treat
Kim McCallie said…
I would take this over a traditional banana split any day. I'm love cupcakes! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.
Amy said…
These are the biggest invention! Anyone would say WOW when they see this. :) I'm drooling.
Whaaaatttt?! Awesome. Thanks for linking up to Fat Camp Friday. Hope you enjoyed your weekend, see you next time!
Wow looks great! Amazing!

I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training Tomorrow! Plus there is going to be a fun giveaway too! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/
Jenna said…
Wow is right, these looks so amazing, I bet you kids gobbled them up in now time!
Camille said…
This looks absolutely gorgeous! And such great pictures!! Thanks so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff last weekend! We would LOVE to have you come back and link up more of your great projects tomorrow!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com
Unknown said…
This is great! My mom is coming this weekend and I am planning to make her something homemade. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Haley
Food Safety Training

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Bean Soup

Dr. Seuss Snacks!

Candy Cornucopia