Sometimes I bake something in hopes that it will be heavenly delicious. Sometimes I bake something to feed a crowd. But sometimes I bake something just to watch my kids eyes get big and to hear them say WOW!
These cupcakes fell into the WOW! category and they turned out to be the perfect treat for Ella's family birthday dinner. The inspiration for these came from one of my favorite cupcake books, What's New Cupcake? by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson.
- I super-sized mine by starting with three jumbo muffins.
- For the "Ice Cream", divide a batch of white frosting into three bowls. I used homemade cream cheese frosting (because it's my favorite), but the book suggests frosting right out of the can.
- Leave one third of the frosting plain
- Add 2 Tablespoons low sugar strawberry jam to the second bowl
- Add 1 Tablespoon a cocoa powder to the third bowl.
- Put bowls in the freezer for 30 - 60 minutes.
- Next, scoop the frosting with an ice cream scooper and place the mounds right on top of the cupcakes. Yes, it's a lot of frosting, but that's what makes the kids say, WOW!
- The "bananas" are Stella D'oro Anisette Toast dipped in yellow candy melts.
- Drizzle chocolate ganache on the "Vanilla" cupcake.
- Just before serving, top each with whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry.
What birthday girl wouldn't want to dig into this?
Fortunately for the rest of us, she shared!
THIS POST IS PROUDLY LINKED TO MONDAYS: MOUTHWATERING MONDAYS, MADE BY YOU MONDAY,MINGLE MONDAY , HOME SAVVY A TO Z, TUESDAYS: TUESDAYS AND THE TABLE, TEMPT MY TUMMY TUESDAY, TASTY TUESDAY, IT’S A BLOG PARTY, TIP JUNKIE ,GET YOUR CRAFT ON, WEDNESDAYS: SHOW AND TELL, WORKS FOR ME WEDNESDAY, THIS CHICK COOKS, LADY BEHIND THE CURTAIN, GINGER SNAP CRAFTS, WHAT'S COOKING WEDNESDAYS THURSDAYS: IT’S A KEEPER THURSDAYS, STRUT YOUR STUFF, FULL PLATE THURSDAYS , CHIC & CRAFTY PARTY, RECIPES TO RUN ON. THRIFTY THURSDAYS FRIDAYS: I’M LOVING IT, FOODIE FRIDAY, GROCERY CART CHALLENGE, FOOD ON FRIDAYS, FRIDAY POT LUCK,, WALNUT AVENUE: FOODIE FRIDAY, TATERTOTS AND JELLO, , SWEET TOOTH FRIDAY,, FRIDAY FAVORITES, FAT CAMP FRIDAY, LA BELLA VITA, FRIDAY FOOD SATURDAYS:SWEETS FOR A SATURDAY SIX SISTERS STUFF SUNDAYS: NIFTY THRIFTY SUNDAY, AWELL SEASONED LIFE