Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins


I received the email late last week requesting breakfast food for a middle school party today.  I immediately signed Samuel up, since the instructions stated, "Please involve your child!"  

Since I am in the panic-stricken process of trying to domesticate my 13-year old son (I only have FIVE more years!!) I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for him to make his choice of Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins.


We always have LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of frozen bananas in the freezer, not to mention a few overripe ones on the counter, so our first step was to find six bananas and mash them.  Unfortunately, both of my mixers were out for repair, so we started the mashing process by hand.


Knowing that not everyone enjoys a big old banana chunk in their muffin, we decided to put the liquids together in a blender - sort of a banana-olive oil-egg-sugar smoothie, if you will!


This idea was working out quite fine, until the blender went on the blink, too!  MOM, HELP!
Fortunately, we saved enough liquid to continue!


Next, he added the dry ingredients....


.... and mixed, mixed, mixed, mixed!
A cup of mini chocolate chips were the favorite add-in.


I find that a 1/3 cup measuring scoop works out perfectly for filling the greased tins.


VOILA!  SUSTENANCE!  

And now for lesson #2..... the clean-up!!!


Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Makes 30 Muffins

1 cup extra light tasting olive oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
6 ripe bananas, mashed
4 cups white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
6 Tablespoons buttermilk (or plain milk works, too)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 heaping cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray non-stick cupcake pans with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, combine oil, sugar and eggs.  Blend in bananas.  In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Stir into banana mixture.  Add milk and vanilla.  Mix well.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Scoop 1/3 cup batter into each muffin tin.  Bake for about 15 - 17 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove from pan and cool.  Enjoy!

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh my goodness Rachel! These look scrumptious! Congratulations on being a winner this week at I heart Faces! I was so happy to see your name in the winners spot since your picture was one of my favorites from the get go
:)
Way to go! Love, Becky
Lisa said…
Mmm, those muffins look moist and delicious. Can't beat something that has a little chocolate with every bite. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-6.html
Brittany said…
Yummm!!

Hoping you might come share this recipe at my weekly Seasonal Sunday Event! (they fit the theme perfectly! :)
(http://realsustenance.com)

Happy Sunday!
Brittany
Janet said…
Besides the muffins looking great, I have to comment on the fact that TWO mixers AND your blender not working? A sure sign that you're making lots of wonderful things! :-)
Amy said…
These sound like delicious muffins. How precious you've got a handy helper here! He sure looks professional! :)

I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March--the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? It doesn' have to be a new post on your blog. You can pick your favorite cookie from your previous post too. All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

Amy
http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Bean Soup

Dr. Seuss Snacks!

Candy Cornucopia