Our Annual Oreo Turkey making all began eight years ago when Samuel was in kindergarten. Still unaware of the overachieving alpha room-mom type, I naively volunteered to bring dessert to the kindergarten Thanksgiving Party. In my mind I was thinking, "Two-dozen grocery store cupcakes?" The room mom had other ideas. "Why don't you search the internet for some cute Thanksgiving dessert ideas? Maybe you could make something that looks like a turkey?" Eight years ago, I had a 5-year old, a 2-year old and a baby. I showed up to school parties with a double stroller and a diaper bag. I barely knew what the internet was! My competitive nature, however, spurred me on and I came across these adorable Oreo Turkeys.
Thus began my journey into food crafts and, perhaps, makes me now a little guilty of being a slightly overachieving room-mom type myself. In any case, eight years later, I think I have these turkeys down to a science and the kids think it's a great Thanksgiving tradition!
- Do everything in assembly line fashion.
- Lay out all the Oreos (I use double stuffed) on a Silpat mat or parchment paper.
- Melt about 8 ounces of chocolate in a Gallon Sized Ziploc bag.
- Snip the corner 1/4" or less. This bag will be used for piping chocolate "glue"
- Put a dime-sized dot of glue on the lower center part of the Oreo.
- Working quickly, add one Whopper to the top of the "glue" spot.
- Working 3 or four Oreos at a time, pipe on chocolate to the remaining top portion of the Oreo.
- Add five Candy Corn "feathers". The largest Candy Corn should be in the center.
- Put a dot of chocolate on top of each Whopper.
- Attach a Candy Corn Head.
- Using "Writing Icing" (Not Gel) dot two blue eyes and a red "wattle" - (or is it the the "snood"?) to the head and let dry.
Enjoy! These are actually quite tasty. It's hard to stop at just one!
THIS POST MAY BE LINKED TO: MONDAYS: MOUTHWATERING MONDAYS, MADE BY YOU MONDAY,MINGLE MONDAY , HOME SAVVY A TO Z, TUESDAYS: MUSHKI LOVES MY STUFF TUESDAYS AND THE TABLE, TEMPT MY TUMMY TUESDAY,TWO MAIDS A BAKING, TIP JUNKIE ,GET YOUR CRAFT ON, CRAZY SWEET TUESDAYS! TEA PARTY TUESDAY MANDY'S RECIPE BOX WEDNESDAYS: SHOW AND TELL, WORKS FOR ME WEDNESDAY, THIS CHICK COOKS, LADY BEHIND THE CURTAIN, GINGER SNAP CRAFTS, THURSDAYS: IT’S A KEEPER THURSDAYS, STRUT YOUR STUFF, FULL PLATE THURSDAYS , CHIC & CRAFTY PARTY, THRIFTY THURSDAYS FRIDAYS: I’M LOVING IT, FOODIE FRIDAY, GROCERY CART CHALLENGE, FOOD ON FRIDAYS, FRIDAY POT LUCK, TATERTOTS AND JELLO, SWEET TOOTH FRIDAY,, FRIDAY FAVORITES, FUSION FRIDAYS, FRIDAY FOOD , BACON TIME SATURDAYS:SWEETS FOR A SATURDAY SIX SISTERS STUFF SUNDAYS: NIFTY THRIFTY SUNDAY, AWELL SEASONED LIFE