Sometimes breakfast is the only meal we can have together and I'm thankful that, even though my kids are getting older, they still appreciate the magic of the cookie cutter. These heart shaped Egg-In-The-Holes turned out to be the perfect breakfast on a sub-zero day.
Through trial and error, here are a few tricks I picked up for producing the perfect egg:
- Use hearty bread for a good, clean, cookie cutter cut (like Ezekiel Sprouted Grain.)
- Butter one side of the bread and put it butter side down on a heated griddle.
- Crack your egg into a separate vessel and spoon the yolk into the hole in the bread. Spoon in enough of the egg white to fill the bread hole, but not so much as it will flow over the cut edge.
- Place a large skillet lid over the bread to help steam the egg. This will allow the egg to cook without the need to flip it.
- When the egg begins to solidify, sprinkle with kosher salt. Garnish with chives.
Wishing you all a Happy Valentine's Day!