A Mother's Day Letter



Dear Mom,

Now that I have kids of my own, I realize that it would take more than a lifetime to repay all that you've done for me. And now that I'm a mom, I realize that you wouldn't want me to try. But I do want you to know how much I appreciate all the things that you've done to shape me, to train me, to love me.

Thanks for taking care of me when I got hurt and making me feel that everything would be OK.  You are still "Nurse Grandma", a role I will never be able to fill.  Thanks for teaching me to sew and for making me rip apart the imperfect seams.  I'm pretty sure I didn't thank you for that in the moment, but it taught me the importance of taking the time to do things right.  Thanks for teaching me how to make things grow. Your garden is the perfect example of how you take the time to nurture. Thank you for passing on your "simple aesthetic." I am still learning how to make life simpler.  So often it makes life better. 

Thanks for letting me bake chocolate chip cookies after school.  It was the beginning of my finding  joy in the kitchen.

Thanks for staying up late to edit my papers and to sew more than a few last minute costumes. You took pride in my success and made me understand the importance of doing my best. In this, you gave me wings. Thanks for staying up late to monitor my curfews. You also gave me boundaries. 

Thanks for attending all my piano recitals, band concerts, sporting events and school plays.  I never once doubted that you actually wanted to be there. Regardless of how I did, I always believed that you were proud of me.

Thank you for being mother, friend and psychotherapist when I moved away and was lonely.  Thank you for knowing when to give advice and knowing when to keep it.

Thank you for being my encourager and always seeing the best in me.  Thank you for being a model of Faith and for helping me keep my life in perspective. Thanks for loving my husband, my kids and my dog.

But most of all, thank you for always having time for me.  Your example guides me as I raise children of my own.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  I love you!

Love,

Rachel


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Bean Soup

Dr. Seuss Snacks!

Candy Cornucopia