Snickerdoodle Cupcakes {MSC}




The Name
Cinnamon cupcakes topped with 7-minute frosting "kisses", these cupcakes are a play on the famous, crackly cookie of the same name.  The origin of the name "snickerdoodle" is unknown, but food historians have a few hypothesis.  Most believe the name to be of German origin.  Some believe the name to be derived from the German word, schneckennudeln, or "crinkly noodles".   "Schnecke" in German, however, means "snail".  According to an old book called Slumps, Grunts and Snickerdoodles:  What Colonial Americans Ate and Why, by Lila Perl, a "schnecke" was also a German name for a cinnamon pinwheel that resembled a snail.  At least it makes more sense than "crinkly noodle"!

The Cake


Since I am relatively new to the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club, this was my first foray into Cake Flour.   My first question was, "What is cake flour, exactly?"  According to my Barron's Food Lover's Companion, (Thanks, SIL!) I learned that cake flour is "a fine-textured, soft-wheat flour with a high starch content."  It makes particularly tender cakes and pastries.   My second question was, "And where do I find it?"  After checking two local grocery stores and Super Target, I stood in front of all the flours at Whole Foods.  There were bags of bread flour, pastry flour, whole wheat flour, self-rising flour, but where was the cake flour?  I finally accosted a chef-looking shopper who, after an informative dissertation on adjusting recipes when one doesn't have cake flour, helped me spot, not a bag, but a box of cake flour on the top shelf.  Mission accomplished.


The batter went together easily with no other unusual ingredients.  The only oddity was the recipe specified 28 cupcakes, not 24.  I followed the directions and made two pans plus four cupcakes.

You can find the recipe here on Martha Stewart's website!

The Frosting


After reading a couple of disaster stories on Martha Stewart's 7-minute frosting recipe, and realizing that I only owned a meat thermometer, not a candy thermometer, I decided to call my brilliant mother for her tried and true 7-minute frosting recipe.  I have never actually made this meringue-like frosting, but remembered that it made very fluffy bunny "fur" on our chocolate Easter cakes!


This recipe seemed much simpler than the one in the cookbook.  All the ingredients were mixed together in a double boiler and beaten over heat for about- 7 minutes!  At this point, however, one must work fast before the meringue begins to harden.  I found my Wilton #1A frosting tip online at Amazon.com.  ($2.11 for the tip and $6.12 for the shipping - go figure!)


The kisses actually held their shape and the looked great for the Teacher's Appreciation Luncheon!


Thanks to Katie at katiecakes for selecting today's challenge!



Mom's Seven Minute Frosting
Betty Crocker Cookbook (circa 1960's)

2 egg whites (1/4 cup)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar or 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
1/3 cup water

Place ingredients in a double boiler over boiling water and beat with a rotary beater until the mixture stands in stiff peaks, about 7 minutes.  Scrape the bottom and sides of the pan occasionally.  Fold in 1 tsp vanilla.

ATTN:  CUPCAKE CLUB MEMBERS!  Please also visit my post on last year's Zucchini Spice Cupcakes.  I'm trying to catch up! :)

Comments

Mary Ann said…
Your cupcakes turned out fantastic! They look so good. I'm glad you had people to share them with!
Rebecca said…
Yours look great. I have never had Martha's 7 minute frosting come out well, so its nice to have an alternative recipe. Thanks for visiting my blog and for the info on cake flour.
Janet said…
I think it's so funny that our families grew up with the same Easter bunny cake tradition, and with the same type of frosting! :-)
Janet said…
And I'm glad you like the book!
Julie said…
Beautiful cupcakes! The frosting looks wonderful.
Bri said…
Wow, thanks for posting your mom's 7-minute frosting recipe! This does sound much easier than Martha's, and I just found out the hard way that my candy thermometer is not working properly (burned not one, but two batches of caramel!!) so I could use this no-thermometer recipe. Yours look so pretty!
laurie said…
They look perfect!

My mom made all our Birthday cakes with 7 minute frosting. I have never tried it though!
My mom's 7-minute frosting recipe was relatively easy. I just needed a little courage! :-)
Jennifer said…
I loved these cupcakes and will definitely be making them again!
I love the frosting on your cupcake, which gives it such personality.

BTW, have you ever eaten a schneke before? I'm trying to remember where I got mine from, but I ate one this past year. They're delicious.
Janine said…
That's the frosting recipe I remember from my youth too! I'm going to try that one next time. Your cupcakes look great.

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Bean Soup

Dr. Seuss Snacks!

Candy Cornucopia